We made some more progress with the beam (RSJ) installation for engine removal night before last. The idea was to mount a spare bit of steel beam in the roof of the garage to hold the beam trolley.
This really IS overkill for one engine removal / install operation so I’ll have to find excuses to remove other engines once it’s finished 🙂
First job was to learn to weld. Not sure how I’ve managed to get to 32 without learning, but alas, tis true.
I had a 5 minute practice on some scrap bar, with dad showing me what to do, then welded the clamping bars onto the rolled-hollow section for the beam support. I have no idea how good or bad a job this is (constructive criticism welcome if you care to leave a comment). Dad seemed to think it was good enough and said something like “that’ll look fine painted”.
The beam itself was bolted at the other end to an existing beam supporting one side of the mezzanine roof.
We want to be able to attach / remove this kit quickly so went with a simple bolted approached, with the beam strapped to the rafter above to stop it swinging left to right when the engine is on it.
A couple more pics below: The first one shows the half ton hoist we inherited from my grandfather. Apparently it was used to lower large street lighting in Bristol way back in the past. The other image shows the adjustable foot welded onto the beam support. Not strictly necessary but it’ll be nice to set the level pretty accurately and not have the beam trolley rolling one way or the other when loaded.